Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Intuition

A little over a week ago, I emailed Tim Harford regarding if a study had ever been done that asked the following question of the participants:


"How many times have you asked someone out (on a date) and have been surprised at their response (also indicate whether they responded yes or no)?"


I was asking Tim about how intuitive we (humans) are at interpreting signals and variables from other people in terms of realtionships.  In business, I have witnessed questions being asked of other parties even though the questioner knows what the answer will be.  Most of the time, the questioner asks in order to fulfill some sort of requirement of asking from their superior.


Tim replied to my inquiry:


Alas, I've never seen such a question. Fascinating subject, though. Sorry not to be able to help.


One can only wonder what it takes to apply for grant monies to make these studies happen.  Nevertheless, you have it from me that I will do what I can to find more on the topic.


No comments: