Sunday, February 04, 2007

Response to eHarmony Comment

My last post left me with this comment from the eHarmony blog that linked me to this post on the eHarmony blog.

First, let me just address how the comment was written:

1 in 500? Check your figures again. :)


Firstly, it’s not my figure. In addition, the tone of that comment makes me believe that they’ve set up a Google search for anyone who links to the Scientific American article and then automatically post that comment. I’m simply speculating on how and why eHarmony would post a comment on my blog because my blog is simply not trafficked.

Fine, I’ll let the eHarmony blog take away the statistic, but before I do, let me just say a few more things. Another reason why I think they have a Google alert or a bot set up in searching for the comment is because it doesn’t even seem that they read my entire post because the statistic, while I thought important, was not really the point in my writing the post. My post was about how online dating is not the complete savior it’s cracked up to be. It still has its own drawbacks, which the eHarmony comment obviously did not address.

Also, while were on statistical analysis, don’t get me started on how different entities can use statistics differently to come up with findings for different points of view. Let us all just take a look at climate science. Robert Samuelsson touches on it here, Arnold Kling here, and Robert C. Balling Jr. here. So, let those links show that trying to argue on statistics won’t get us very far anyway in terms of climate, and I would venture the same goes for dating thanks to the Scientific American article.

Once again, it’s clear that the gist of my post was also simply inarguable because it was pretty much a wholly personal opinion on the Scientific American article, except for the statistic that eHarmony blog contests. They don’t contest any of the other research that I’ve posted on my blog here, here, and here.

Moreover, is there a retraction from Scientific American?

Why doesn’t the eHarmony blog address some of the drawbacks that Robert Epstein mentions? To generalize it: the lying, of which my favorite example that Epstein cites is where one woman uses pictures of women who are obviously not her.

You’ve got my attention eHarmony blog, and because you say the statistic is invalid, leave me another comment and show me the retraction from Scientific American.

4 comments:

Fake Nick Denton said...

Hey, what's wrong with Google Alerts? How else would I have known about your blog post or the eharmony blog post's take down of that statistic. Now to let my editors at Scientific American know...

eHarmony Blog said...

I'm sorry for the comment, Michael. Its pithiness was rude. If Blogger had a trackback feature I would have left your post alone.

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, too. eHB is a 100% unofficial blog -- in our other posts we criticise eH, too. FWIW I do not think eH itself will comment at all on the SA article. It would probably just repeat its favourite one-year-old "marries 90 members a day" statistic.

Yes, I agree that online dating has a lot of hype and it has its drawbacks. FWIW I'm running a reader's poll on dishonesty for the entire month -- I invite you to comment.

I'm sorry again that I didn't make myself clear.

Michael Katsimbris said...

I understand, no worries, I was worried the gist of the post was being lost.

Anonymous said...

Good write up. I have had great success with flinghotties.com
Flinghotties.com