Tuesday, March 06, 2007

F1 and WRC Preview

Andrew Sullivan’s face of the day for March 1, 2007 was Ralf Schumacher in the Toyota paddock during testing at Bahrain.


Sullivan’s post reminded me that I hadn’t commented on racing events for quite some time now. Of course, there was the off season, but as well, while testing has begun in Formula 1, there’s not much to comment on because each team is testing differently. I will say this though; the teams no one is talking about are Spyker and Toyota. And as much as I love Toyota, I believe the F1 media aren’t mentioning them because Toyota isn’t doing much of anything to note. But I’ll still be rooting for them.


In WRC news, I’ve been way behind. Subaru has actually managed to score drivers and manufacturers points so far after three rounds this season. Chris Atkinson is the #2 driver for SWRT and is in his final year of contract for Subaru. While I do believe Atkinson’s come a long way and consistently shows potential, it’s obvious that Subaru will be looking at this season as an evaluation of his merit. Personally, I’ll be pulling for him along with the Subaru world Rally Team.


With that said, after three rounds Subaru lies third in the manufacturer’s standings. I look forward to Rally Mexico when Subaru finally has a chance to out its 2007 WRC car. I know they and their fans are hoping for significant improvements over the 2006 spec car. It will definitely take a win though for Petter Solberg to get back in the driver’s championship.


By the way, Daniel Carlsson tied in 7th place in points is racing in a two year old Mitsubishi Lancer WRC. Mitsubishi is not going with a full factory outfit this season, but merely providing what I would like to call moral support to a privateer team.


For any NHRA fans, check out Kevin Tressler’s blog. For those wanting information on NASCAR, just turn on the television or a newspaper, you can’t miss it.


No comments: