Monday, May 21, 2007

Another View on College

Here is another view on college from the New Yorker via Ben Casnocha.

As I have written about college before (just do a search for “college” on my blog), I still cannot get over the fact that parents pay for their children’s college “education.” Don’t believe me?

Listen to Bryan Caplan on the subject:

Most people who criticize our education system complain that we aren't spending our money in the right way, or that ideologues-in-teachers'-clothes are leading our nation's children down a dark path. While I mildly sympathize with some of these complaints, they often contradict what I see as the real problem with our educational system: There's simply far too much education going on. The typical student burns up thousands of hours of his time learning about things that neither raise his productivity nor enrich his life. And of course, a student can't waste thousands of hours of his time without real estate to do it in, or experts to show him how.

No comments: