Wednesday, August 23, 2006

websites that don't work


This is not the first time this has happened to me with the direct loan service site, and I doubt that it will be the last. Nevertheless, the point is that I want to pay them back, but sometimes they don’t make it easy. I’d like to take a page out of Scott Adams’ blog, and go through a hypothetical scenario.

Rule of thumb for many free market economists is that the government has a horrible habit of running things inefficiently. So, even though I loved my direct loan for college, what if these loans were all carried out in a competitive private sector market? Of course I would have to hope that they don’t try to run a cartel or oligopoly in the student loan market. Nevertheless, would I be able to get what I want (a functional website)? I know my credit card’s website is always operational. The credit card company makes it so easy to get my money through the web.

But there in lies the problem, the company’s website that works charges some of its customers 18% APR. So, with that in mind let me just keep praying that the government decides to improve its website rather than giving my loan to a credit card company.

Does anyone else out there know of some websites that they wish worked better?

No comments: